Timeline - Test Yourself Menu
Old English 1. The first settlers to impact the language that became English came from which countries?
2. Our earliest language bore relation to which modern foreign language? 3. Name three words that entered our lexicon from:
A) The Romans?
B) The Anglo Saxons?
C) The Vikings?
D) The Normans?
4. What language(s) did the people in power use in the Norman era, and why?
Middle English 1. Why did the English language settle down in terms of the pace of its change in the middle ages?
2. What invention of the middle ages changed the development of language by standardising letters and words?
3. Where are the pilgrims traveling to in The Canterbury Tales?
4. Why did king Henry II decide to have Thomas Becket killed?
5. What sort of language did Chaucer use in his writing to relate to ordinary people?
Shakespeare 1. How many plays did Shakespeare write?
2. What prompted Shakespeare to begin writing sonnets?
3. How many iambs are in a metrical ‘foot’?
4. How many iambs are in a line of iambic pentameter?
5. Recite and explain a metaphor used by Shakespeare in a play you have studied.
6. What do we mean by the Renaissance?
Romantics 1. What changed the face of Britain from 1780-1840?
2. Name three things that were produced in greater number as a result of the above.
3. Name three places that the Romantic poets ‘retreated’ to escape the modern world they felt detached from?
4. Wordsworth wrote about which flower?
5. Recite and explain a line from the poem he wrote about these flowers.
6. Name three Romantic poets and a poem by each one.
Dickens 1. What were the dates of Queen Victoria’s reign?
2. How many novels did Charles Dickens write?
3. Name the five genres of novel that were popular in the 19th century.
4. Explain the ways in which people experienced poverty in the 19th century.
5. How does realism differ from Romanticism?
6. Name three realist writers of the 19th century and a novel by each one.
Modernism 1. What happened at the turn of the 20th century to transform life in Britain?
2. How does Modernist literature reflect the time of writing?
3. What did Modernism hope to do?
4. Name three Modernist writers of the 20th century and a novel by each one.
5. What was Ezra Pound’s famous advice to his fellow artists?
MAIN COURSE - define the terms in your own words
Vernacular Romantic Realism Symbolism
Iambic pentameter Enlightenment Caricature Absurdity
Sonnet Counter Verisimilitude Existentialism
Soliloquy Urbanisation Quotidian Formalism
Monologue Luddite Clause Individualism
Pastoral Sublime Stream of consciousness